A Ships account. Apply for an account on the SGI Ships cluster
(if you haven't already) using the UCS accounts system.
- Object Oriented Programming.
- Unix file system operations.
- C++ templates.
- Java class and applet design, if time/progress permits.
There will be a 30-45 minute quiz every Thursday, (except the week of July 4th). The
lowest quiz grade will be dropped. Missing a quiz will result in a zero for that quiz,
and there will be no make-up quizzes. In general, they will cover concepts from
the most recent homeworks and lectures.
- Quizzes: 60%
- Homework: 40%
The course syllabus will be updated regularly
throughout the semester. Please check it regularly to ensure that you are covering the
appropriate sections of the textbook.
Only special lecture notes will be posted here. You are expected to attend all lectures and can not rely on regular lecture notes to be posted. The course syllabus is a good guide to the lecture material.
- Notes on Pointers. This is a postscript file. You will need to download it and print it, or view it using ghostview or some other postscript viewer.
- An example program using templates, the
new command, passing functions to functions, and performing an
indirect sort. The program needs this
data file if you want to run it.
- Attendance will not be taken officially, but you are expected
to attend all discussions.
- Material covered in discussion is fair game on any test or quiz.
- The more participation from students in discussion, the better the
course will be for everyone.
- You will receive at least one homework assignment a week.
- This homework will be assigned on Wednesday in discussion and will be due
by midnight Sunday via electronic submission.
- When a second assignment is given, it will be assigned on Monday in discussion and will
be due by midnight Wednesday via electronic submission.
- Homework is submitted using electronic handin. Read carefully
homework handin requirements for more. See
these tips for setting up a good UNIX environment on the SGI Ships cluster.
- When you have questions, please come see me or Doug. We encourage you to talk to your class mates and help each other when you have questions, and the newsgroup makes a great forum for this. In any case there is
to be absolutely no sharing of code. See below for more
on academic integrity.
- Assignments will be posted here immediately after they are assigned in discussion.
- Each assignment is graded on a scale of 100 points.
- Late assignments are not accepted.
- Assignments which do not compile receive no credit.
- Your lowest homework grade will be dropped.
- Homework 1 Due Midnight, Wednesday June 19th.
- Homework 2 Due Midnight, Sunday June 23rd.
- Homework 3 Due Midnight, Thursday June 27th.
- Homework 4 Due Midnight, Monday July 1st.
- Homework 5 Due Midnight, Monday July 15th.
- Homework 6 Due Midnight, Monday July 22nd.
- Homework 7 Due Midnight, Sunday July 28th.
- Homework 8 Due 11:00 am, Thursday August 1st.
- Homework 9 Due Midnight, Monday August 5th.
- Homework 16 Due Midnight, Thursday August 8th. (optional)
here to access ac.c.212, the class newsgroup.
If you do this from
you can post and respond to articles, as well as read them.
Class attendance will not be monitored although regular attendance and
class participation are strongly recommended. Attendance at examinations
is compulsory and make-up examinations will normally not be given. No
special assignments or projects will be given to help students raise their
Read the Computer Science Department's Statement on Academic
Integrity to be sure you understand the rules under which computer
science courses operate. Cases of academic dishonesty will be reported
to the Office of Student Ethics, a branch of the Office of the Dean of
An incomplete (I) final grade will be given only by prior arrangement in
exceptional circumstances conforming to university and departmental policy
in which the bulk of course work has been completed in passing fashion.
Other Web Sites of Interest
Doing Web Pages (HTML Resources)
Comments: firstname.lastname@example.org or
The Trustees of